When you install an application on an Android device, Android will indicate all the functions that the app is capable of, such as accessing your camera, contacts or location. In order to access these resources, applications ask for specific permissions. Each permission is accompanied with a brief description to offer an understanding of what it may be used for.
To install an app, you must acknowledge that you're aware of what the software is capable of by giving Android your permission. For example, when you visit a website that requires a specific function, such as taking or uploading a picture or finding your location, Android will ask you for permission before it performs that function.
Table of Contents
Firefox Focus functions and permissions
Google has recently simplified the app permissions lists, so you might not see all the permissions displayed here. See the Google Support page for more details. Firefox Focus may request access to the following:
- Storage: Modify/delete SD card contents. This allows Firefox Focus to save downloaded files to the SD card.
- Your location (GPS location): GPS location is used only when you choose to share your location with a website. Firefox Focus never uses your location for itself or shares it with a website without your permission.
- Take pictures and videos: When a web page requests an image file to upload, you may choose to take a picture with your device's built-in camera. If a site seeks to use your microphone for communication, you may choose to share that as well — such is the case with sites using WebRTC. Firefox Focus will always display a message asking for permission each time a site asks to add a photo or record audio. It never records audio, takes pictures or records video unless you opt-in each time it asks.
- Network communication (Full Internet access): This gives Firefox Focus permission to download web pages, add-ons, and other content over the Internet.
- System Tools (Install shortcuts): This allows you to add website shortcuts to your device's home screen using Firefox Focus.
- Wi-Fi connection information: Allows Firefox Focus to view whether Wi-Fi is enabled and the names of devices that are connected to it. This information allows Location Services to work.
- Download Manager: Allows Firefox Focus to download files through the Download Manager.
Firefox Focus Google Play data safety disclosure
Firefox Focus transmits the following data to understand how users interact with Firefox Focus:
- Technical Data: We may receive basic information about your device and Focus, such as what version you have installed, your operating system, basic information about crashes and errors, and your system timezone, language and region settings.
- Interaction Data: We receive information about how often you use Focus and interact with certain features or prompts. This includes information such as when you start a new browsing session, how often you use search or launch an external browser from Focus, and which features in the Settings screen are enabled. We do not collect information about the content you browse or the sites that you visit.
- Campaign Data and Referral Data: On Android, this helps Firefox Focus understand the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. Focus may use “Referral Data” such as the website domain or advertising campaign that referred you to download and install Focus. This data is kept by Adjust, our analytics vendor, and provided when you start Focus, and also includes a Google advertising ID, timestamp, country, locale, operating system, and app version. Mozilla does not receive this data for Klar. Read the Adjust-Usage documentation.
- Search suggestions: If enabled, Firefox Focus sends search queries to your search provider to help you discover common phrases other people have searched for and improve your search experience. These data will not be sent if your selected search provider does not support search suggestions.
Frequently asked questions
Do you share my data with third parties?
Your privacy is important to us. We do not share your data with third parties.
How can I request my data to be removed?
You need to opt out of Usage and technical data in the settings:
- Tap the menu icon (the three dots) in the toolbar.
- Tap .
- Tap .
- Scroll down to Data Choices.
- Tap the toggle next to Send usage data.