Firefox automatically checks the spelling of words that you enter in text boxes. As soon as you finish typing a word, it is checked against the words in the installed dictionary. If the word is not found in the dictionary, it will be underlined in red, as in the following example:
- Automatic spell-checking is only turned on for text boxes containing more than one line, where you can enter as much text as you want.
- Not all locales come with a dictionary installed due to licensing reasons.
Table of Contents
Disabling automatic spell-checking
By default, Firefox is configured to automatically check spelling. You can turn it off in the Settings window:
- In the Menu bar at the top of the screen, click and select .Click the menu button and select .
- In the panel, go to the Language section.
- Uncheck Check your spelling as you type.
- Close the page. Any changes you've made will automatically be saved.
Correcting misspelled words
When spell-checking is enabled, you can easily correct misspelled words. To correct the misspelled word, Right-clickHold down the control key while you click on it and select one of the suggested words at the top of the menu.
If none of the suggested words is appropriate, you must manually edit it. If you are sure the word is spelled correctly, you can add it to the dictionary. To add a word to the dictionary, Right-clickHold down the control key while you click on it, and select .
You can install other dictionaries as necessary.
- Right-clickHold down the control key while you click in any text box containing more than one line.
- Select .
- The Dictionaries & Language Packs page is displayed. Find a language on the list and click on it to open its page.
- Click the
After the dictionary is installed, you can switch to it, as needed. To switch to a different installed dictionary, Right-clickHold down the control key while you click in a multi-line field, select , then select the dictionary you want to use.
You can select more than one dictionary. The spell checker will also check spelling against multiple languages.
Removing a word you have accidentally added
Open your profile folder:
Note: If you are unable to open or use Firefox, follow the instructions in Finding your profile without opening Firefox.
- Click the menu button , click . and select From the . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open. menu, select
- Under the Application Basics section next to Profile FolderDirectory, click . A window will open that contains your profile folder.Your profile folder will open.
- Click the Firefox menu and select .Click the Firefox menu at the top of the screen and select .Click the Firefox menu and select .
- Open the file persdict.dat in a text editor (such as WordPad) (such as Pages) (such as Calligra Words).
- In the text editor, each word you've added is on a separate line. Remove the line, containing the word you wish to remove.
- Click the menu, and select , to save your work.