Knowledge Base discussions

[In KB] Bookmarks and toolbar buttons not working after upgrading

1. I am currently using Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP and Bookmarks and toolbar buttons not working after upgrading is displaying only a few lines. I added a comment on the discussion forum of the article.

I suspect the rest of the article is applicable to firefox 3.6 and 4 but inadvertently is not being displayed.

I am currently using Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP and [[Bookmarks and toolbar buttons not working after upgrading]] is displaying only a few lines. I added a comment on the discussion forum of the article. I suspect the rest of the article is applicable to firefox 3.6 and 4 but inadvertently is not being displayed.
  2. This article was originally written when Firefox 3 first came out, to resolve problems caused by a locked or corrupt places.sqlite file. The main culprit was a Norton 360 component that didn't allow Firefox to close properly, resulting in a locked Places database when you next restarted Firefox, unless you first ended the Firefox process or restarted the computer.

This article needs to be rewritten, possibly based on the Locked or damaged places.sqlite article at MozillaZine. At the very least, this article should be renamed ("Bookmarks history and toolbar buttons not working"?) since it no longer deals with an upgrade issue, the section about extensions issues should simply link to Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems instead of listing specific extensions, and the section about Norton 360 should be removed. The "hidden" {for fx3} content on rebuilding the Places database is already included in the Fix "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional" error message article so a template could be used for both articles.

Related discussion: /forums/contributors/265243
    "Streamlining" the ((Bookmarks and toolbar buttons not working after upgrading)) article

This article was originally written when Firefox 3 first came out, to resolve problems caused by a locked or corrupt places.sqlite file. The main culprit was a Norton 360 component that didn't allow Firefox to close properly, resulting in a locked Places database when you next restarted Firefox, unless you first ended the Firefox process or restarted the computer. This article needs to be rewritten, possibly based on the [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_damaged_places.sqlite Locked or damaged places.sqlite] article at MozillaZine. At the very least, this article should be renamed ("Bookmarks history and toolbar buttons not working"?) since it no longer deals with an upgrade issue, the section about extensions issues should simply link to [[Troubleshooting extensions and themes]] instead of listing specific extensions, and the section about Norton 360 should be removed. The "hidden" {for fx3} content on rebuilding the Places database is already included in the [[The bookmarks and history system will not be functional]] article so a template could be used for both articles. Related discussion: [/forums/contributors/265243]<br> "Streamlining" the ((Bookmarks and toolbar buttons not working after upgrading)) article

Modified by AliceWyman on

3. Thanks for the links, and explanation, at least now I can understand what is intended.

Thanks for the links, and explanation, at least now I can understand what is intended.
  4. We should think about deleting this article as we're not supporting Firefox 3 anymore. If we later see the need for an article about this based on forum and live chat traffic we consider writing an article based on that feedback.

We should think about deleting this article as we're not supporting Firefox 3 anymore. If we later see the need for an article about this based on forum and live chat traffic we consider writing an article based on that feedback.
  5. Archive?

Archive?