Knowledge Base discussions

[In KB] Installing a previous version of Firefox

1. Install an older version of Firefox

Following this thread, I updated it for fx4, made some clarifications, added a TOC, a new section, a reference to "Add-ons are disabled after upgrading", a summary, a keyword.

[[Installing a previous version of Firefox]] Following [/forums/contributors/705209 this thread], I updated it for fx4, made some clarifications, added a TOC, a new section, a reference to "Add-ons are disabled after upgrading", a summary, a keyword.
  2. From my previous edit, I added a warning about potential issues with extensions and toolbars after downgrading from Firefox 4.

From my previous edit, I added a warning about potential issues with extensions and toolbars after downgrading from Firefox 4.
  3. Performed a proof read, no errors and all of the information is applicable.

Performed a proof read, no errors and all of the information is applicable.

Modified by Ziggy Maes on

4. I edited the second revision by scoobidiver and removed the warning about potential issues with extensions and toolbars (too vague to be useful?) and then approved the revision.

I edited the second revision by scoobidiver and removed the warning about potential issues with extensions and toolbars (too vague to be useful?) and then approved the revision.

Modified by AliceWyman on

5. Some of the top search terms are "revert" or "roll back" or "rollback" with no search results. They must be keywords for this article.

minozake fixed a typo in the linux directory.

Some of the top search terms are "revert" or "roll back" or "rollback" with no search results. They must be keywords for this article. minozake fixed a typo in the linux directory.

Modified by scoobidiver on

6. I created a new revision that added the keywords suggested by scoobidiver, removed info about installing unsecure versions of firefox (this is bad for both users and us), added a warning about limited security updates, and removed TOC (didn't seem necessary in this shorter article).

I created a new revision that added the keywords suggested by scoobidiver, removed info about installing unsecure versions of firefox (this is bad for both users and us), added a warning about limited security updates, and removed TOC (didn't seem necessary in this shorter article).
  7. I think we must include the template that contains articles about problems after upgrading (see this thread) instead of having these articles hard-coded.

I think we must include the template that contains articles about problems after upgrading (see [/forums/knowledge-base-articles/706426 this thread]) instead of having these articles hard-coded.
  8. What about proposing a "Template:UpdateProblems" and starting a new thread? Or, unlock and rename that thread to make it about a proposed new template?

What about proposing a "Template:UpdateProblems" and starting a new thread? Or, unlock and rename [/forums/knowledge-base-articles/706426 that thread] to make it about a proposed new template?

Modified by AliceWyman on

9. I changed article links. It needs review as soon as Common questions after upgrading from Firefox 3.6 is approved.

I changed article links. It needs review as soon as [[Common questions after updating Firefox]] is approved.
  10. I approved Scoobidiver's version with just links to commons questions and can't connect after upgrade.

I approved Scoobidiver's version with just links to commons questions and can't connect after upgrade.
  11. I added this back to the article:

After downgrading, if you intend to stay with that version, you will need to disable automatic updating. It is highly recommended that you try new versions of Firefox as they're released to see if they solve your problem.

I added this back to the article: After downgrading, if you intend to stay with that version, you will need to disable [[Updating Firefox#w_configuring-update-options|automatic updating]]. It is highly recommended that you try new versions of Firefox as they're released to see if they solve your problem.
  12. AliceWyman said

I added this back to the article

I disagree. Firefox 3.6 is still maintained (Firefox 3.6.18 is scheduled on June 21).

After the Firefox 5 release (probably a minor update of Firefox 4), I don't know if all-older will contain 3.6 (maintained) or 4 (no longer maintained) builds.

''AliceWyman [[#post-37543|said]]'' <blockquote> I added this back to the article </blockquote> I disagree. Firefox 3.6 is still maintained ([https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases Firefox 3.6.18 is scheduled on June 21]). After the Firefox 5 release (probably a minor update of Firefox 4), I don't know if all-older will contain 3.6 (maintained) or 4 (no longer maintained) builds.
  13. OK, that makes sense. I rejected my own pending edit.

OK, that makes sense. I rejected my own pending edit.
  14. Here's the plan on updates (as far as I understand it at this point):

• 3.5 users will the latest 3.6 update as a minor/security update (in June I think).
    • 3.6 users will continue to get security updates for some period of time. The official policy is "up to six months" but in the past it's been much longer. My guess is that this time it will be closer to the six months than it has been in the past.
    • 4.0 & 4.0.1 users will get 5.0 as a minor/security update. Barring an emergency, 4.0.1 is the last update to Firefox 4

So I don't know what the "all-older" page will have either. I'll see if I can find out.

Here's the plan on updates (as far as I understand it at this point): * 3.5 users will the latest 3.6 update as a minor/security update (in June I think). * 3.6 users will continue to get security updates for some period of time. The official policy is "up to six months" but in the past it's been much longer. My guess is that this time it will be closer to the six months than it has been in the past. * 4.0 & 4.0.1 users will get 5.0 as a minor/security update. Barring an emergency, 4.0.1 is the last update to Firefox 4 So I don't know what the "all-older" page will have either. I'll see if I can find out.
  15. From the Firefox delivery meeting today - after Firefox 5 is released the "all-older" page will keep 3.6 as the previous Firefox version. My guess is that it will remain that way until 3.6 is end of life and then maybe the idea of a previous version of Firefox will go away.

From the Firefox delivery meeting today - after Firefox 5 is released the "all-older" page will keep 3.6 as the previous Firefox version. My guess is that it will remain that way until 3.6 is end of life and then maybe the idea of a previous version of Firefox will go away.
  16. I reworded a section and included Template:UpdateProblems as I suggested https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forums/knowledge-base-articles/706645#post-39759

I reworded a section and included Template:UpdateProblems as I suggested https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forums/knowledge-base-articles/706645#post-39759
  17. Now we know that the only previous version that will be downloadable is 3.6, I think it worth hard-coded 3.6 for users who upgrade to Firefox 5, have problems and want to downgrade to Firefox 4.

The Template:Only in Fx4 template can also be added at the beginning.

Now we know that the only previous version that will be downloadable is 3.6, I think it worth hard-coded 3.6 for users who upgrade to Firefox 5, have problems and want to downgrade to Firefox 4. The Template:Only in Fx4 template can also be added at the beginning.
  18. got it - created a new revision

got it - created a new revision
  19. Cww approved

Cww approved
  20. I'd like everyone to consider this article locked for the next week or so. We're about to tell localizers that it's ok to update it. On Tuesday, 6/14 the ready for localization feature is scheduled to be live. Then we can mark this current revision as ready for localization and then carry on with any other updates we wish to make without disturbing localization. Then in about six weeks, if necessary, we can mark a new revision as the one for localizers to work on.

I'd like everyone to consider this article locked for the next week or so. We're about to tell localizers that it's ok to update it. On Tuesday, 6/14 the [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=639806 ready for localization feature] is scheduled to be live. Then we can mark this current revision as ready for localization and then carry on with any other updates we wish to make without disturbing localization. Then in about six weeks, if necessary, we can mark a new revision as the one for localizers to work on.
  1. 1
  2. 2