Knowledge Base discussions

[Needs draft] How can I improve my privacy and security?

1. Proposed new article: How can I improve my privacy and security?

This came up in the Private Browsing KB article thread and is based on a review of Private Browsing revision 9017

Quote from Michael Verdi on Feb 1 2011: (in reply to a comment I made):

I was thinking, instead of adding a new section on improving privacy and security, maybe it could be the basis of a new article and you could link to it? Only thing, I'm not sure if it is within the scope of SUMO.
    I agree that this section should be the basis of a new article and I do think it's in the scope of SUMO. I've talked about adding such articles in SUMO meetings and and linking to them where appropriate. The engagement team came up with a nice article about Create secure passwords to keep your identity safe that I think along with this possible new article could be great bits extra info linked from things like Private Browsing.
    Proposed new article: [[How can I improve my privacy and security?]] This came up in the [/forums/knowledge-base-articles/704718 Private Browsing KB article thread] and is based on a review of [/kb/Private%20Browsing/revision/9017 Private Browsing revision 9017] '''Quote from Michael Verdi on Feb 1 2011:''' (in reply to a comment I made): <blockquote><blockquote>I was thinking, instead of adding a new section on improving privacy and security, maybe it could be the basis of a new article and you could link to it? Only thing, I'm not sure if it is within the scope of SUMO.</blockquote> I agree that this section should be the basis of a new article and I do think it's in the scope of SUMO. I've talked about adding such articles in SUMO meetings and and linking to them where appropriate. The engagement team came up with a nice article about [[Choosing More Secure Passwords]] that I think along with this possible new article could be great bits extra info linked from things like Private Browsing.</blockquote>

Modified by AliceWyman on

2. Maybe combine it with Staying safe on the web?

Maybe combine it with [https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forums/knowledge-base-articles/614056 Staying safe on the web]?
  3. skeptix said

The page should list EFFECTIVE strategies to prevent website tracking. For instance, I'd recommend this:
    • Install the AdBlock plug-in.
    • Disable javascript entirely, or at least use a plug-in like NoScript which disables javascript by default, but lets users enable it on a case-by-case basis.
    • Disable cookies entirely, or at least delete ALL cookies every time firefox closes.
    • Disable Flash entirely, or at least use a plug-in like FlashBlock or NoScript which disables flash by default, but lets users enable it on a case-by-case basis.
    • If you must run Flash, then at least run a plug-in such as BetterPrivacy that can delete Flash LSOs automatically every time firefox closes.
    • Do not use a search engine while logged in.
    • Use Tor ( torproject.org )
    I know my list is not complete, but it's a lot better than recommending an untested technology that offers no guarantees.

Give the users an idea of how to determine if their solution works. Things which come to mind include:
    ''skeptix [/en-US/kb/how-do-i-turn-do-not-track-feature/discuss/1872#post-3794 said]'' <blockquote> The page should list EFFECTIVE strategies to prevent website tracking. For instance, I'd recommend this: * Install the AdBlock plug-in. * Disable javascript entirely, or at least use a plug-in like NoScript which disables javascript by default, but lets users enable it on a case-by-case basis. * Disable cookies entirely, or at least delete ALL cookies every time firefox closes. * Disable Flash entirely, or at least use a plug-in like FlashBlock or NoScript which disables flash by default, but lets users enable it on a case-by-case basis. * If you must run Flash, then at least run a plug-in such as BetterPrivacy that can delete Flash LSOs automatically every time firefox closes. * Do not use a search engine while logged in. * Use Tor ( torproject.org ) I know my list is not complete, but it's a lot better than recommending an untested technology that offers no guarantees.<br><br> Give the users an idea of how to determine if their solution works. Things which come to mind include: * The evercookie test: http://samy.pl/evercookie/ * The EFF's Panopticlick project: http://panopticlick.eff.org/ </blockquote>

Modified by scoobidiver on