SUMO community discussions

Firefox (in US) will be using Yahoo as default Search engine starting in December (Fx 34.0.5)

1. You can still use the drop menu in Search bar to change it back to say Google if you prefer. Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, eBay, Amazon, Twitter and Wikipedia will continue to be built-in as alternate search options.

edit: there is a new search panel as per post by AliceWyman https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/forums/contributors/710886?last=62997#post-62997

I take it this refers to the en-US Firefox and can affect Canadians also as they more likely use en-US vs en-GB since there is no Canadian local of Firefox.

Note that any mention of ten years ago was about when Firefox got to version 1.0 and Not when Firefox started or its tenth birthday or such as Firefox started back in Sept 2002 as Phoenix 0.1 originally.

You can still use the drop menu in Search bar to change it back to say Google if you prefer. Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, eBay, Amazon, Twitter and Wikipedia will continue to be built-in as alternate search options. edit: there is a new search panel as per post by AliceWyman https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/forums/contributors/710886?last=62997#post-62997 *https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/ *http://blog.mozilla.org/press/2014/11/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership/ *http://yahoo.tumblr.com/1313 *http://andreasgal.com/2014/11/19/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership/ *http://www.marketwatch.com/story/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership-2014-11-19 I take it this refers to the en-US Firefox and can affect Canadians also as they more likely use en-US vs en-GB since there is no Canadian local of Firefox. ---- Note that any mention of ten years ago was about when Firefox got to version 1.0 and Not when Firefox started or its tenth birthday or such as Firefox started back in Sept 2002 as Phoenix 0.1 originally.

Modified by James on

2. ah the good ole days :-) I used Phoenix in 2002!

Good Times as they say!

...Roland

James said

....snip

Note that any mention of ten years ago was about when Firefox got to version 1.0 and Not when Firefox started or its tenth birthday or such as Firefox started back in Sept 2002 as Phoenix 0.1 originally.

ah the good ole days :-) I used Phoenix in 2002! Good Times as they say! ...Roland ''James [[#post-62904|said]]'' <blockquote> ....snip ---- Note that any mention of ten years ago was about when Firefox got to version 1.0 and Not when Firefox started or its tenth birthday or such as Firefox started back in Sept 2002 as Phoenix 0.1 originally. </blockquote>
  3. Oh... this switches millions of users to a different search engine? I hope there is going to be a very good tour/doorhanger for this.

Oh... this switches millions of users to a different search engine? I hope there is going to be a very good tour/doorhanger for this.
  4. I'm not sure exactly how will this work yet, the Firefox teams are still working out the details. It won't happen at once that's for sure. Either way we will probably get a couple of questions :) so we will need to be prepared.

I think we will probably use geolocation so Canadians or others using en-US are not affected but, again, nothing is clear yet so stay tuned.

I'm not sure exactly how will this work yet, the Firefox teams are still working out the details. It won't happen at once that's for sure. Either way we will probably get a couple of questions :) so we will need to be prepared. I think we will probably use geolocation so Canadians or others using en-US are not affected but, again, nothing is clear yet so stay tuned.
  5. PS: Verdi has prepared a cool gif that we can use when answering questions (still waiting for PR approval of that but I think it will be fine)

https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/media/uploads/gallery/images/2014-11-20-09-17-16-06a943.gif

PS: Verdi has prepared a cool gif that we can use when answering questions (still waiting for PR approval of that but I think it will be fine) https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/media/uploads/gallery/images/2014-11-20-09-17-16-06a943.gif
  6. more options

A question I have is why the "Search Bar" even exists now.

With the change made to the Location Bar with the "engine" there being "selected" by the engine selected in the Search Bar, the addition of a search container to both about:home and about:newtab, and in the contextual menu - why not just have a small "selector" toolbar button to select the search engine the user wants to use?

IMO, wasted space on the Nav Bar, when only a selector button is needed ... unless that is too "Chrome-like". Quite honestly though, I haven't used Chrome or Chromium in 4 or 5 years now. LOL - I grew tired of "their" automatic program updates ......

A question I have is why the "Search Bar" even exists now. With the change made to the Location Bar with the "engine" there being "selected" by the engine selected in the Search Bar, the addition of a search container to both about:home and about:newtab, and in the contextual menu - why not just have a small "selector" toolbar button to select the search engine the user wants to use? IMO, wasted space on the Nav Bar, when only a selector button is needed ... unless that is too "Chrome-like". Quite honestly though, I haven't used Chrome or Chromium in 4 or 5 years now. LOL - I grew tired of "their" automatic program updates ......
  7. I think we need a right-click > Manage Search Engines item for the address bar and for the search bars on about:home and about:newtab, for users who move the search bar off the Navigation Toolbar, and for anyone who doesn't think of the connection between the two things. I wonder whether anyone has filed a bug for that?

I think we need a right-click > Manage Search Engines item for the address bar and for the search bars on about:home and about:newtab, for users who move the search bar off the Navigation Toolbar, and for anyone who doesn't think of the connection between the two things. I wonder whether anyone has filed a bug for that?
  8. You can left-click the search logo on the about:newtab page to get a list of choices including "Manage Search Engines", but that isn't possible if you select a search engine that doesn't have a suitable image. The about:home page lacks this feature as of now. It is also not obvious that you can click the logo on the about:newtab page.

Bug 1029889 - about:home should use the search engine [chooser/picker/switcher] from the about:newtab page

You can left-click the search logo on the about:newtab page to get a list of choices including "Manage Search Engines", but that isn't possible if you select a search engine that doesn't have a suitable image. The about:home page lacks this feature as of now. It is also not obvious that you can click the logo on the about:newtab page. Bug 1029889 - about:home should use the search engine [chooser/picker/switcher] from the about:newtab page
  9. more options

I never noticed that about the new tab page in the 31-plus versions. Even has Manage Search Engines at the bottom of the listing.

Is there a pref for having the search open in a different new tab, rather than that "new tab"? ... as with the Search Bar.

I never noticed that about the new tab page in the 31-plus versions. Even has Manage Search Engines at the bottom of the listing. Is there a pref for having the search open in a different new tab, rather than that "new tab"? ... as with the Search Bar.
  10. more options

Forget I even asked "why" the search bar still exists. I should know better than to question what already exists and want something better or different.

The new search features that landed in Beta on 11-21 are "bass-ackwards" from anything related to progress. An over complication of something that was and should be simple.

At least there's a pref to revert to the current behavior.

Forget I even asked "why" the search bar still exists. I should know better than to question what already exists and want something better or different. The new search features that landed in Beta on 11-21 are "bass-ackwards" from anything related to progress. An over complication of something that was and ''should be'' simple. At least there's a pref to revert to the current behavior.
  11. more options

Hey all, This is a confusing change, and some of the details are still being wrapped up and finalized, so we can't clarify everything just yet, but I'll try to make a stab with the data that I know ATM.

• First, the search bar still exists because it's the most heavily used search location in Firefox. Most users don't realize that you can search using the URL bar, and while the new:tab page has an awesome search feature, a lot of users don't ever see that page, or they don't spend a lot of time on it. While the lack of user understanding is probably a failure on our part around education, it's not something we are going to fix overnight. If you don't like or want the search bar there, feel free to remove it :)
    • As for Canada, they will be getting Yahoo! as the default, AFAIK. More details coming on this, but since we don't have a Canada specific EN-US build, they will get all the changes going into EN-US
    • The new search UI will be awesome for a lot of reasons, biggest is that this is something that we were never able to do before, but that really makes search more valuable for users.
    • There is still some confusion as to what will happen to users who currently have Google set as their default. What I can tell you is that if you don't want to use Yahoo you can always switch back to Google.

I hope this helps, and sorry for the incomplete information. Hopefully we will have more as the week moves on.

Hey all, This is a confusing change, and some of the details are still being wrapped up and finalized, so we can't clarify everything just yet, but I'll try to make a stab with the data that I know ATM. * First, the search bar still exists because it's the most heavily used search location in Firefox. Most users don't realize that you can search using the URL bar, and while the new:tab page has an awesome search feature, a lot of users don't ever see that page, or they don't spend a lot of time on it. While the lack of user understanding is probably a failure on our part around education, it's not something we are going to fix overnight. If you don't like or want the search bar there, feel free to remove it :) * As for Canada, they will be getting Yahoo! as the default, AFAIK. More details coming on this, but since we don't have a Canada specific EN-US build, they will get all the changes going into EN-US * The new search UI will be awesome for a lot of reasons, biggest is that this is something that we were never able to do before, but that really makes search more valuable for users. * There is still some confusion as to what will happen to users who currently have Google set as their default. What I can tell you is that if you don't want to use Yahoo you can always switch back to Google. I hope this helps, and sorry for the incomplete information. Hopefully we will have more as the week moves on.
  12. the-edmeister said

Forget I even asked "why" the search bar still exists.

This came up in the support forum: /questions/1031963 How to do remove Search bar on Firefox Developers Edition?

P.S. Starting in Firefox 34 there's a new Search panel in the Firefox Options window (screenshot). You'll no longer need the Search Bar to change the default search engine or other actions mentioned in the Search bar - add, change and manage search engines on Firefox article, which Joni just updated for Firefox 34.

''the-edmeister [[#post-62959|said]]'' <blockquote> Forget I even asked "why" the search bar still exists. </blockquote> This came up in the support forum: [/questions/1031963] ''How to do remove Search bar on Firefox Developers Edition?'' P.S. Starting in Firefox 34 there's a new Search panel in the Firefox Options window ([https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/gallery/image/20015 screenshot]). You'll no longer need the Search Bar to change the default search engine or other actions mentioned in the [[Search bar - add, change and manage search engines on Firefox]] article, which Joni just updated for Firefox 34.

Modified by AliceWyman on

13. jscher2000 said

I think we need a right-click > Manage Search Engines item for the address bar and for the search bars on about:home and about:newtab, for users who move the search bar off the Navigation Toolbar, and for anyone who doesn't think of the connection between the two things. I wonder whether anyone has filed a bug for that?

Starting in Firefox 34 you'll be able to do that from the new Search panel in the Firefox Options window (screenshot).

P.S. I see Rachel drafted Forum Response - New Search change which is pending review (I made a new revision with some edits). with a few revisions made since then. See /kb/forum-response-new-search-change/history.

''jscher2000 [[#post-62944|said]]'' <blockquote> I think we need a right-click > Manage Search Engines item for the address bar and for the search bars on about:home and about:newtab, for users who move the search bar off the Navigation Toolbar, and for anyone who doesn't think of the connection between the two things. I wonder whether anyone has filed a bug for that? </blockquote> Starting in Firefox 34 you'll be able to do that from the new Search panel in the Firefox Options window ([/gallery/image/20015 screenshot]). P.S. I see Rachel drafted [[Forum Response - New Search change]] <s>which is pending review (I made a [/kb/forum-response-new-search-change/revision/83102 new revision] with some edits).</s> <sub> with a few revisions made since then. See [/kb/forum-response-new-search-change/history].</sub>

14. Tyler Downer said

I hope this helps, and sorry for the incomplete information. Hopefully we will have more as the week moves on.

If anyone's interested, I came across Bug 1102392 - What's New / Firstrun Yahoo Tracker ...which links to Docs: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Websites/Mozilla_Firestorm (from the wiki page Overview: A frantic dash to do all the things supporting Yahoo for Dec 1 )

''Tyler Downer [[#post-62974|said]]'' <blockquote> I hope this helps, and sorry for the incomplete information. Hopefully we will have more as the week moves on. </blockquote> If anyone's interested, I came across [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1102392 Bug 1102392] - What's New / Firstrun Yahoo Tracker ...which links to Docs: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Websites/Mozilla_Firestorm (from the wiki page Overview: ''A frantic dash to do all the things supporting Yahoo for Dec 1'' )
  15. Copied from this thread in the discussion forum for the Search bar - add, change and manage search engines on Firefox article (the article was recently updated for Firefox 34 but hasn't been made ready to localize yet):

Tonnes said

Would it be possible to inform localizers about this late and obvious en-US only change for now? Better yet, it would be nice to see this info included in the article itself by a comment and maybe even adapt/prepare the article for non-en-US locales as well to prevent localizers from finding out about it themselves and working around it (or not?!), saving them some valuable time and keeping the article up-to-date for localized versions. This includes the changesettings template, Forum response and any other affected articles, of course.

I just updated Forum Response - Changing the default search engine yesterday for Firefox 34. I didn't realize that the new search UI to change the default search engine didn't apply to other locales.

P.S. I made a new revision to Forum Response - Changing the default search engine to add this note under the "Starting in Firefox 34" section: Note: The following may not apply to localized versions of Firefox.

I also added that note to the pending Forum Response - New Search change that Rachel drafted, which hasn't been approved yet was approved yesterday (Nov 30) and added to common forum responses.

Copied from [/kb/search-bar-add-change-manage-search-engines-firefox/discuss/5673 this thread] in the discussion forum for the [[Search bar - add, change and manage search engines on Firefox]] article (the article was recently updated for Firefox 34 but hasn't been made ready to localize yet): ''Tonnes said'' <blockquote> Would it be possible to inform localizers about this late and obvious en-US only change for now? Better yet, it would be nice to see this info included in the article itself by a comment and maybe even adapt/prepare the article for non-en-US locales as well to prevent localizers from finding out about it themselves and working around it (or not?!), saving them some valuable time and keeping the article up-to-date for localized versions. This includes the [https://support.mozilla.org/kb/templatechangesearchsettings changesettings template], [[Forum Response - Changing the default search engine|Forum response]] and any other affected articles, of course. </blockquote> I just updated [[Forum Response - Changing the default search engine]] yesterday for Firefox 34. I didn't realize that the new search UI to change the default search engine didn't apply to other locales. P.S. I made a new revision to [[Forum Response - Changing the default search engine]] to add this note under the "Starting in Firefox 34" section: ''Note: The following may not apply to localized versions of Firefox.'' I also added that note to the <s>pending</s> [[Forum Response - New Search change]] that Rachel drafted, which <s>hasn't been approved yet</s> <sub>was approved yesterday (Nov 30) and added to [[common forum responses]]</sub>.