SUMO community discussions

Registry Cleaners

1. more options

Do we have a policy on registry cleaners? I have sen several (newer) contributors recommending registry cleaners to users. Since registry cleaners are well known to cause many many problems with windows, and also have little to no benefit, do we have a policy on them? I don't ever recommend them, but if we don't want to encourage the use perhaps we can put that somewhere in the contributor guide.

Do we have a policy on registry cleaners? I have sen several (newer) contributors recommending registry cleaners to users. Since registry cleaners are well known to cause many many problems with windows, and also have little to no benefit, do we have a policy on them? I don't ever recommend them, but if we don't want to encourage the use perhaps we can put that somewhere in the contributor guide.
  2. IMO we should not be recommending this kind of stuff at all. If we do think it might be useful we should refer them to some other source that could walk them through it and take on the liability if it goes wrong. In the early days we did talk a lot about what we support and don't support. I think we need to put this somewhere for new contibutors to see.

It can include stuff like not explicitly recommending 3rd party solutions that we don't support as well as why we recommend add-ons over flipping about:config preferences by hand.

IMO we should not be recommending this kind of stuff at all. If we do think it might be useful we should refer them to some other source that could walk them through it and take on the liability if it goes wrong. In the early days we did talk a ''lot'' about what we support and don't support. I think we need to put this somewhere for new contibutors to see. It can include stuff like not explicitly recommending 3rd party solutions that we don't support as well as why we recommend add-ons over flipping about:config preferences by hand.
  3. more options

I agree. I think somewhere saying 3rd party tools like registry cleaners, uninstallers, driver finders, etc. are not recommended unless used by a professional or something. Just to remove liability. And just discourage the community for recommending registry cleaners, etc. as well.

I agree. I think somewhere saying 3rd party tools like registry cleaners, uninstallers, driver finders, etc. are not recommended unless used by a professional or something. Just to remove liability. And just discourage the community for recommending registry cleaners, etc. as well.
  4. What Firefox problems are actually fixed using a registry cleaner?

What Firefox problems are actually fixed using a registry cleaner?
  5. more options

Some Contributors are recommending that they be used to speed up Firefox. I don't think that it actually works (as I said, registry cleaners are pretty much useless). So recommending them is more perpetuating a myth than anything.

Some Contributors are recommending that they be used to speed up Firefox. I don't think that it actually works (as I said, registry cleaners are pretty much useless). So recommending them is more perpetuating a myth than anything.