Knowledge Base discussions

In-content Preferences - Fx38 (was: About:preferences page - Fx 36)

1. In version 36, the Options (Windows) or Preferences (Mac) panel is changing from a dialog box like this: Fx34GeneralPanel-default-Mac

to a new tab page like this:

preferences 36

This will affect a lot of articles, particularly the popular ones about search, sync, font sizes and setting home pages. I'll be updating articles in the coming weeks, but please jump in and help us out if you have any free time.

Thanks! Joni

In version 36, the Options (Windows) or Preferences (Mac) panel is changing from a dialog box like this: [[Image:Fx34GeneralPanel-default-Mac]] to a new tab page like this: [[Image:preferences 36]] This will affect a lot of articles, particularly the popular ones about search, sync, font sizes and setting home pages. I'll be updating articles in the coming weeks, but please jump in and help us out if you have any free time. Thanks! Joni
  2. I found some background info here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Desktop_Firefox/in-content-preferences
  3. I like it and often have Aurora as my default browser so have got used to it.

I think it is one of those changes that is fairly self explanatory, well thought out and unlikely to cause problems. Even if someone is following an article with old images I think they will easily understand the new pages.

I like it and often have Aurora as my default browser so have got used to it. I think it is one of those changes that is fairly self explanatory, well thought out and unlikely to cause problems. Even if someone is following an article with old images I think they will easily understand the new pages.
  4. Anyone knows why exactly this change was made? I think it's just an another change which has no improvements for users and will just upset those who are used to the old Options/Prefs window. And just an another try to copy Chrome.

Anyone knows why exactly this change was made? I think it's just an another change which has no improvements for users and will just upset those who are used to the old Options/Prefs window. And just an another try to copy Chrome.
  5. I think that this is another point in the trend in development for features to be implemented in HTML instead of XUL. The new version is built using normal web technologies. This is a common theme in other parts of the app too. It is easier to maintain and improve these new modern UIs, compared to the old ones. But I didn't work on this feature, so maybe that's not what's going on at all.

I think that this is another point in the trend in development for features to be implemented in HTML instead of XUL. The new version is built using normal web technologies. This is a common theme in other parts of the app too. It is easier to maintain and improve these new modern UIs, compared to the old ones. But I didn't work on this feature, so maybe that's not what's going on at all.
  6. Marko said

Anyone knows why exactly this change was made?

The Mozilla Wiki page I linked above has background information, including this from the Intro section:

*The Preferences window is moved into the content area. This move provides several benefits for users. First, it removes yet another easy-to-lose window. It means that changing preferences in Firefox can be an identical and easy experience an consistency across operating systems.

The Firefox's redesigned Preferences link in the References section is broken but this is from google's cache:

Why is it important that Preferences are in the content space rather than a separate window?

1.  Consistency across devices. By using the content space, we no longer have to rely on the ability of a device to draw separate windows and dialogs. This is particularly important on tablets and phones, where window management is more difficult. Now, users of mobile Firefox will see a familiar interface when move to desktop Firefox, and vice versa.
    2.  Consistency across operating systems. Windows, OSX, and Linux all create windows and dialogs differently, which means the user’s experience with Preferences was different depending on the OS. Now, as we draw this interface within Firefox, we can make it look and feel identical across systems.
    3.  Consistency with the web. Ultimately, the browser is a doorway to the rest of the web. For the browser to behave like a dialog-heavy desktop application rather than the web itself was jarringly anachronistic. Beneficially, rendering like a website also means users won’t need to find and manage a separate window in addition to their open tabs.
    4. Space to grow. Not being bounded by a small, floating window means we can create richer customization experiences. The Add-ons manager has already  moved to content space, and we’ve been able to explore richer use cases as a result. Similarly, expect to see innovative customization experiments as well as the usual Firefox settings.

''Marko [[#post-63907|said]]'' <blockquote> Anyone knows why exactly this change was made? </blockquote> The [https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Desktop_Firefox/in-content-preferences Mozilla Wiki page] I linked above has background information, including this from the Intro section: ----- *The Preferences window is moved into the content area. This move provides several benefits for users. First, it removes yet another easy-to-lose window. It means that changing preferences in Firefox can be an identical and easy experience an consistency across operating systems. ---- The [https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2014/05/firefoxs-redesigned-preferences-feel-more-like-the-web/ Firefox's redesigned Preferences] link in the References section is broken but this is from [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_R8bk0eWPLMJ:https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2014/05/firefoxs-redesigned-preferences-feel-more-like-the-web/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us google's cache]: Why is it important that Preferences are in the content space rather than a separate window? 1. '''Consistency across devices.''' By using the content space, we no longer have to rely on the ability of a device to draw separate windows and dialogs. This is particularly important on tablets and phones, where window management is more difficult. Now, users of mobile Firefox will see a familiar interface when move to desktop Firefox, and vice versa. 2. '''Consistency across operating systems'''. Windows, OSX, and Linux all create windows and dialogs differently, which means the user’s experience with Preferences was different depending on the OS. Now, as we draw this interface within Firefox, we can make it look and feel identical across systems. 3. '''Consistency with the web'''. Ultimately, the browser is a doorway to the rest of the web. For the browser to behave like a dialog-heavy desktop application rather than the web itself was jarringly anachronistic. Beneficially, rendering like a website also means users won’t need to find and manage a separate window in addition to their open tabs. 4. '''Space to grow'''. Not being bounded by a small, floating window means we can create richer customization experiences. The Add-ons manager has already moved to content space, and we’ve been able to explore richer use cases as a result. Similarly, expect to see innovative customization experiments as well as the usual Firefox settings.
  7. I updated to Firefox 36 Beta 5 and now I have the old Options/Preferences window again! Do you have it, too? It seems we don't have to update the articles.

I updated to Firefox 36 Beta 5 and now I have the old Options/Preferences window again! Do you have it, too? It seems we don't have to update the articles.
  8. Marko said

I updated to Firefox 36 Beta 5 and now I have the old Options/Preferences window again! Do you have it, too?

Same here!

It seems we don't have to update the articles.

I agree, we should put a hold on any more updates. I added "[Attn: Admin]" to the thread title.

''Marko [[#post-63923|said]]'' <blockquote> I updated to Firefox 36 Beta 5 and now I have the old Options/Preferences window again! Do you have it, too? </blockquote> Same here! <blockquote> It seems we don't have to update the articles.</blockquote> I agree, we should put a hold on any more updates. I added "[Attn: Admin]" to the thread title.
  9. i think firefox 38 might be targeted as release for the new preferences ui: https://msujaws.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/status-update-in-content-preferences-part-4/

i think firefox 38 might be targeted as release for the new preferences ui: https://msujaws.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/status-update-in-content-preferences-part-4/
  10. I checked my pref after update again and have the ole window as well....hmmm... I liked the new one. That's strange.

I checked my pref after update again and have the ole window as well....hmmm... I liked the new one. That's strange.
  11. The browser.preferences.inContent toggle to true makes any different?

The browser.preferences.inContent toggle to true makes any different?
  12. ideato said

The browser.preferences.inContent toggle to true makes any different?

That preference was also included in previous Firefox releases but it was set to false by default... until Firefox 36 beta 1. If it's set to true, we have the new preferences tab. If it's false, we have the old window. And it's now false by default again.

''ideato [[#post-63927|said]]'' <blockquote> The browser.preferences.inContent toggle to true makes any different? </blockquote> That preference was also included in previous Firefox releases but it was set to false by default... until Firefox 36 beta 1. If it's set to true, we have the new preferences tab. If it's false, we have the old window. And it's now false by default again.
  13. I think philipp is correct, in Firefox Nightly (now 38.0a1) only is set on true by default, can anyone confirm that ?

I think '''[https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/forums/knowledge-base-articles/711045?last=63928#post-63925 philipp is correct]''', in Firefox Nightly (now 38.0a1) only is set on true by default, can anyone confirm that ?
  14. I deferred all of the pending revisions and approved one revision to restore the old screenshots in an article where a change was already approved. In case any one wants a list of those articles, I created threads in the individual kbforums for Article Discussions with the title, In-content preferences for fx36 deferred.

I deferred all of the pending revisions and approved one revision to restore the old screenshots in an article where a change was already approved. In case any one wants a list of those articles, I created threads in the individual kbforums for [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/all/discussions Article Discussions] with the title, ''In-content preferences for fx36 deferred.''
  15. Sorry, it's gone on mine too. I'll ask someone to confirm this for 38 and give you all an update.

Sorry, it's gone on mine too. I'll ask someone to confirm this for 38 and give you all an update.
  16. ideato said

I think philipp is correct, in Firefox Nightly (now 38.0a1) only is set on true by default, can anyone confirm that ?

Yes philipp is correct, in 37 beta we have the old preferences, in 38 now developer we have the new preferences window (i mean the second picture in first Joni's post), also the new preferences window exist in 39 nightly. The new about:preferences window landed in 38

cheers

i think we can remove the [Attn: Admin], no needful anymore

''ideato [[#post-63929|said]]'' <blockquote> I think '''[https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/forums/knowledge-base-articles/711045?last=63928#post-63925 philipp is correct]''', in Firefox Nightly (now 38.0a1) only is set on true by default, can anyone confirm that ? </blockquote> Yes '''philipp is correct''', in 37 beta we have the old preferences, '''in 38 now developer we have the new preferences window''' (i mean the second picture in first Joni's post), also the new preferences window exist in 39 nightly. The new about:preferences window landed in 38 cheers i think we can remove the [Attn: Admin], no needful anymore
  17. ideato said

i think we can remove the [Attn: Admin], no needful anymore

I removed [Attn: Admin] and changed the thread title to "In-content Preferences - Fx38 (was: About:preferences page - Fx 36)"

''ideato [[#post-64558|said]]'' <blockquote> i think we can remove the [Attn: Admin], no needful anymore </blockquote> I removed [Attn: Admin] and changed the thread title to "In-content Preferences - Fx38 (was: About:preferences page - Fx 36)"
  18. It seems that the about:preferences new ui, exist in 37 !

but only the about:preferences, the Tools > options and the 3-bar menu bar > options, open the options window (old ui).

about preferences 37

In 38 all, the about:preferences, the Tools > options and the 3-bar menu bar > options open the new ui.

cheers

It seems that the about:preferences new ui, exist in 37 ! '''but''' only the about:preferences, the Tools > options and the 3-bar menu bar > options, open the options window (old ui). [[Image:about preferences 37]] In 38 all, the about:preferences, the Tools > options and the 3-bar menu bar > options open the new ui. cheers
  19. ideato said

It seems that the about:preferences new ui, exist in 37 ! but only the about:preferences, the Tools > options and the 3-bar menu bar > options, open the options window (old ui).

That's also the case in Firefox 36 (which I'm still using), when you enter about:preferences in the address bar. Same thing in Firefox 31 ESR.

In 38 all, the about:preferences, the Tools > options and the 3-bar menu bar > options open the new ui.

same here, in 38 Beta 1 .... but that was also the case in early versions of 36 Beta and 37 Beta which were for testing, as mentioned in the link philipp posted: philipp said

i think firefox 38 might be targeted as release for the new preferences ui: https://msujaws.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/status-update-in-content-preferences-part-4/

Joni said before, that she would check this out for Firefox 38 and give us an update.

''ideato [[#post-64783|said]]'' <blockquote> It seems that the about:preferences new ui, exist in 37 ! '''but''' only the about:preferences, the Tools > options and the 3-bar menu bar > options, open the options window (old ui). </blockquote> That's also the case in Firefox 36 (which I'm still using), when you enter about:preferences in the address bar. Same thing in Firefox 31 ESR. <blockquote> In 38 all, the about:preferences, the Tools > options and the 3-bar menu bar > options open the new ui. </blockquote> same here, in 38 Beta 1 .... but that was also the case in early versions of 36 Beta and 37 Beta which were for testing, as mentioned in the link philipp posted: ''philipp [[#post-63925|said]]'' <blockquote> i think firefox 38 might be targeted as release for the new preferences ui: https://msujaws.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/status-update-in-content-preferences-part-4/ </blockquote> ''Joni [[#post-63956|said]]'' before, that she would check this out for Firefox 38 and give us an update.
  20. Users on earlier versions might see this being tested, but we should treat this as a version 38 feature. We can start updating the relevant articles. I've started with How to clear the Firefox cache.

We should probably get a list of affected articles and start updating them. I've started a template here: https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/12190

I'll add to it shortly, after I finish another article I'm updating.

Users on earlier versions might see this being tested, but we should treat this as a version 38 feature. We can start updating the relevant articles. I've started with [[How to clear the Firefox cache]]. We should probably get a list of affected articles and start updating them. I've started a template here: https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/12190 I'll add to it shortly, after I finish another article I'm updating.
  1. 1
  2. 2